An Integration of Yoga, Creative Arts and Fun!
Written by Craig Hanauer
Edited by Leah Kalish, MA www.move-with-me. com
Everything you need to bring the profound benefits of yoga and creative play to children with special needs, ages 3 – 12.
This 120 page manual and accompanying DVD offers professionals and parents developmentally appropriate tools, techniques and activities to increase strength, flexibility, balance, self-regulation, focus and concentration. Most of the playful pose sequences, theme based musical routines, games, breathing exercises, and effective self-regulatory techniques are demonstrated on the DVD for easy learning.
Discover the many ways that yoga can promote the healthy development of children and can empower those who:
- Are easily over-stimulated
- Are impulsive and/or distractible
- Exhibit poor social skills and boundaries
- Are learning disabled/with an emphasis on speech and language based learning disabilities
- Are oppositional and/or disruptive
- Present with high or low muscle tone
- Present with anxiety, low self-confidence or low self-esteem
Diagnoses to include:
- High Functioning Autism/ Asperger’s Syndrome
- Sensory Processing Dysfunction (SPD)
- Learning Disabled (LD)
- Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD)
- Mild Cerebral Palsy
The primary focus of this resource is working with groups of “higher functioning” children with special needs, who are essentially “physically able”; though, it does include a section on working individually with children as well. It will be most helpful to those with a personal yoga practice who are interested in incorporating yoga into their work with children. Professional therapists will benefit from this manual by learning creative, developmentally appropriate, fun ways of engaging and supporting children with special needs in the practices of yoga.
Every Kid’s Yoga: Teaching Yoga to Children with Special Needs Manual and DVD does not address working with severely physically, developmentally, cognitively, or emotionally challenged children.
There are no reviews yet.