Every Kid’s Yoga: Teaching Yoga to Children with Special Needs: NYC
February 8 @ 9:00 am - February 10 @ 5:00 pm$550
Hours: Friday and Sunday 9-5, Saturday 1:30-7:30
To register, please call (646) 638-1444 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
An integration of yoga, creative arts and play.
Discover the many ways that yoga can promote the healthy development of children, ages 4-12. Find out how the practice of yoga parallels and supports other therapeutic modalities in addressing difficulties with attention, self-regulation, speech and language, learning, and high and low muscle tone.
This experiential workshop will provide a strong foundation to teaching yoga to children with the following special needs:
- Those who are easily over-stimulated
- Those who are potentially impulsive and/or distractible
- Those who exhibit poor social skills and boundaries
- Those who are learning disabled/with an emphasis on speech and
- language based learning disabilities
- Those who are potentially oppositional and/or disruptive
- Those who present with high or low muscle tone
Diagnoses to include:
- High Functioning Autism
- Sensory Processing Dysfunction (SPD)
- Learning Disabled (LD) with an emphasis upon speech and language
- Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD)
The primary focus of this training will be upon working with groups of “higher functioning” children with special needs, who are essentially “physically able”. This training will not address working with severely physically, developmentally, cognitively, or emotionally challenged children. Basic information will be provided throughout the training to assist participants in understanding the needs and challenges of the population outlined above. Professional therapists may benefit from this training by learning creative, developmentally appropriate, fun ways of engaging and supporting children with special needs in the practice of yoga.
This program is appropriate for Yoga teachers and parents, teachers and therapists with a personal yoga practice who are interested in incorporating yoga into their work with children.
As a result of taking this program, program participants will be able to:
- Structure a class for potentially impulsive children using behavior management and limit-setting techniques
- Modify postures for this population
- Teach breathing exercises, meditation and relaxation to children
- Integrate props, chanting, Thai Yoga Massage and partner yoga
- Employ visuals for children with language-based learning disabilities
- Use yoga to support speech and language, sensory processing, memory, and reading comprehension.
Fee: $550 (Price includesEvery Kid’s Yoga Teacher Training Manual and accompanying DVD, and corresponding visual supports to engage those with speech and language challenges)
Registration Policy: Payment in full is required to reserve your space in this course, which is non-refundable. There is also a $40 processing fee to change the date of your course to a future date. If you change the date of the course you planned to attend within 2 weeks or less of the course, there will be a $100 fee. The original payment will be applied to a future course or workshop only.