- This event has passed.
Every Kid’s Yoga: Teaching Yoga to Children with Special Needs, Hosted by Next Generation Yoga
March 24, 2017 @ 9:00 am - March 26, 2017 @ 5:00 pm$695
Hours: Friday and Saturday 9-5:30, Sunday 9-5
Please be aware that the cost of this training is higher because it is 25-hours long
Fee: $695 (Plus $85.00 registration and materials fee) $100 off if registered by February 25th
To register www.nextgenerationyoga.com
An integration of yoga, creative arts and play.
Discover the many ways that yoga can promote the healthy development of children, ages 4-12. Find out how the practice of yoga parallels and supports other therapeutic modalities in addressing difficulties with attention, self-regulation, speech and language, learning, and high and low muscle tone.
This experiential workshop will provide a strong foundation to teaching yoga to children with the following special needs:
- Those who are easily over-stimulated
- Those who are potentially impulsive and/or distractible
- Those who exhibit poor social skills and boundaries
- Those who are learning disabled/with an emphasis on speech and
- language based learning disabilities
- Those who are potentially oppositional and/or disruptive
- Those who present with high or low muscle tone
Diagnoses to include:
- High Functioning Autism
- Sensory Processing Dysfunction (SPD)
- Learning Disabled (LD) with an emphasis upon speech and language
- Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD)
- Cerebral Palsy (mild)
The primary focus of this training will be upon working with groups of “higher functioning” children with special needs, who are essentially “physically able”. This training will not address working with severely physically, developmentally, cognitively, or emotionally challenged children. Basic information will be provided throughout the training to assist participants in understanding the needs and challenges of the population outlined above. Professional therapists may benefit from this training by learning creative, developmentally appropriate, fun ways of engaging and supporting children with special needs in the practice of yoga.
This program is appropriate for Yoga teachers and parents, teachers and therapists with a personal yoga practice who are interested in incorporating yoga into their work with children.
As a result of taking this program, program participants will be able to:
- Structure a class for potentially impulsive children using behavior management and limit-setting techniques
- Modify postures for this population
- Teach breathing exercises, meditation and relaxation to children
- Integrate props, chanting, Thai Yoga Massage and partner yoga
- Employ visuals for children with language-based learning disabilities
- Use yoga to support speech and language, sensory processing, memory, and reading comprehension.